Ugh. Running late on this update thanks to too much time spent trying to get my old Flickr plugin to work with the two new galleries I made last weekend. As you can see everything is fixed. FINALLY.

So Saturday morning I made it out to the store to buy the last of the tools I need for building the shell of the costume. A note to remember is that this does not include anything regarding putting together the support structure (webbing, etc) since I have not yet decided entirely what route I intend to take.

Unfortunately, as I was wrapping up my shopping, I was informed by my roommate that we’re having a cook out that night so any work I wanted to get done on Saturday got thrown out the window.

Woke up late Sunday morning, got dressed and set up my PS2 on the TV in the garage for watching DVDs while I work (SNL season 2!) and went to work.

I started out with taking the tool photos you see in the gallery below, and cut up the wooden dowel I bought for use applying the plastic welder. Let me tell you, trying to take pictures while you work is a bitch. Don’t expect much more in the way of action shots in the future unless its something I don’t have to worry about screwing up.

So after taking the tool pictures, I did some test fits. Let me tell you, wearing shorts when you do this is very helpful in getting a more accurate fit. The thighs are going to be tricky, especially since I would really like to avoid the “cannon thighs” (these are oversized and more tube-like thighs) that is prevalent in the FX armor kits.

So from there I went to test fit the 02 tank. Guess what? One side is apparently longer than the other and both sides are too long to fit together anyways. I did a little grinding down of the difference in sizes but the whole thing is going to need to be measured out and cut probably on both sides.

After monkeying with it for a while I put that to the side so I could try to do some research to see if I can find more information on better ways to do this later. So I started painting. Starting with painting the chin piece satin black, the two halves of the 02 tank primer, then dark gray, and the ear screw covers primer and then dark gray. The reason why the dark gray pieces got primered first is because I the satin black is a plastic paint, while the dark gray is not. The primer is to make sure the pieces are properly set up. All pieces also got a light sanding and about three coats.

After this I decided to grab the aerators and put them together. I am going to use the stock aerators temporarily until sometime after I finish the set and I will buy a set of screen accurate hovi mic tips to replace them and hopefully place speakers in them.

These are extremely simple to put together. All you do is take the main front piece apart, take the rubber stoppers out of them, pull out the restrictor disc with the small hole in it and place the screw through that. Take the screw on back part and remove the rubber stopper from that, and screw that onto the front piece. Do your best to keep that screw & restrictor plate straight and as centered as possible. One I had no problem with and the other I had to hold up while I screwed the back on. Once the back is screwed on it will hold the screws in place and you place the washer and nut on the screw and attach the aerator stickers. Done and done.

Next i decided to pull out the drill bits for the Dremel. Anything that will be riveted, and the helmet screw holes got drilled at 1/8″ drill bit and the ab button holes got drilled at 5/32″ (I need to double check that size though). I bought a Dremel drill bit set for the 1/8″ but if you get the variable chuck add on for the Dremel you can use most normal, smaller drill bits with it. Just remember when drilling plastic keep it on a lower setting so you’re not melting the plastic as you go. Depending on the part I was using between 2-5 speed. Also if you’re buying a Dremel for this project make sure its a variable speed model and not one of the cheaper one speed only ones. Its a huge help and again it will keep you from melting the plastic as you work.

At this point it was getting cold with the garage open and dark so I gave up for the night to go upstairs and upload the pictures I took and started my fight with Flickr and the plugin I was using for this blog.